Saturday, November 15, 2008

I Miss You Dad

Twelve years ago today, the most important man in my life, my FATHER passed away. It was a heart attack that surprised us early in the morning. I was a 4th year medical student when this happened. Twelve years may seem such a long time but he still & will always live in our hearts. He was a self-made man, & he proudly told me & my sister his life story. His family was not well-off, he was the 4th child in a brood of 12. To be able to finish his studies, he had a lot of odd-jobs, but his efforts paid off because he was able to graduate from college on his own. He was even able to finish his master's degree, again, as a working student. This time, a foreign visiting professor took notice of how hard working my dad was. He was offered a scholarship for PhD studies, at the University of Minnesota. Of course he did not let go of this chance. Through his hard work, he was able to give us a comfortable life, & I will be forever grateful.

I saw him as a doting grandfather to his eldest grandson, Kanoa, the only grandchild he lived to see. He would come home early from work so he can take him out for small treats. I know that if he was still alive, he would have loved spending time with all of his grandchildren.

I really miss you dad...you will always be a part of our lives.

No comments: